Wandsworth Music works in partnership with the London Music Fund and the Thomas’s Schools Foundation to provide scholarships for children and young people in challenging circumstances or in need of financial support.
The scholarships provide up to 4 years worth of funding for children to attend the Wandsworth Music Academy*
These scholarships are available to primary school children (Key Stage 2) who demonstrate a great deal of commitment, enjoyment and potential in their music making but for whom the financial cost of ongoing music tuition is a barrier to their continuation. The scholarships help to enable children to progress on their chosen instrument and can be worth up to the value of £4000 of the funding period.
*Scholarships last for 4 years or up until the end of school year 8 (depending on the scholarship fund provider).
The scholarships provide funding to help towards the cost of:
- A minimum of 2 hours provision per week including,
- Weekly instrumental tuition
- Ensemble Membership, rehearsals and performances
- Half term courses (when applicable)
- Instrument Hire
- A scholarship Music Mentor
Successful applicants must;
- Demonstrate significant musical aptitude on an instrument that can be learned to a high level, taught in a small group and played in an ensemble;
- Have demonstrated a commitment and an eagerness to continue regular practice and attend lessons, ensemble rehearsals, workshops and performances;
- Have the potential to make substantial progress in music and benefit from all the activities a Scholarship offers;
- Be from a family that is struggling to meet the costs of learning an instrument;
- Be in Key Stage 2 in September 2020 and either; attend a non-fee-paying school in the London borough of Wandsworth, live in the London borough of Wandsworth or attend the Wandsworth Music Academy.
- Have received at least one year’s tuition on their nominated instrument;
- Be able to attend the Wandsworth Music Academy on a Saturday and/ or Wednesday and have the full support of a parent / carer in all aspects of the scholarship programme. This includes ensuring regular practice, full attendance at all Wandsworth Music Academy activities and scholar fund lessons and events and making a £10 enrolment contribution per year.
New scholarships are offered yearly and are subject to regular reviews through reports and performances to ensure all criteria are being met.
If you would like to apply, please click here and fill in the online form. We will be in touch if you have been shortlisted.
Forms can be completed at any time throughout the year and information from the online form will be held until the next round of scholarships are open.
Please note, if your application is shortlisted, you may be invited to audition. At the audition you will be required to play a short piece followed by a quick interview about your musical experience so far.
Our next scholarship auditions will be held in May 2020.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org